things to do

play like a local

Corsicana Air Show

best little airshow in texas

Mark your calendars every year for the second Saturday in May for the annual "Best Little Airshow in Texas," when the Coyote Squadron of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) hosts a fun-filled day featuring vintage air planes from the World War II era.

Take a step back into history and enjoy a close-up look at these vintage aircraft as you walk through the various airplane displays, as well as experiencing the thrilling aerobatic demonstrations as these military aircraft from more than 70 years ago once again take to the air.

The Coyote Squadron, a unit of the Commemorative Air Force, operates from C. David Campbell Field, Corsicana's Municipal airport, which itself began as a pilot training center during World War II.

One of the missions of the CAF is the restoration, to flying condition, of World War II military aircraft, as well as their continued maintenance in flying condition.

Each year, dozens of vintage aircraft are flown into Corsicana's airport to participate in this annual event. The participating aircraft, which are privately-owned or operated by other units in the CAF, are flown in and displayed during the air show. A highlight of the Air Show is the afternoon departure of all of the aircraft, one right after another!

For up-to-date details about this year's event, visit the Coyote Squadron's webpage.

Texas Oil was born & history was made

The Derrick Days Annual festival is held the last Saturday of April every year. each year the festival grows and continues to surprise the crowds, reaching 10,000. Ever changing, the one thing that stays the same is good old fashioned fun. There is something for everyone in the family to enjoy, whether you are interested in a fun run, rodeo, festival food, shopping, washer tournament, parade, carnival, or a chili cook-off.

Discovery of Oil
By the early 1890s, the rapidly expanding City of Corsicana had outgrown its water supply, and the following year civic leaders formed the Corsicana Water Development Company with the aim of tapping a shallow artesian well in the area. Drilling began in the spring of 1894; but instead of water, the company hit a large pocket of oil and gas. The find, the first significant discovery of oil west of the Mississippi River, led to Texas' first oil boom. Within a short time nearly every lot in the town and in the surrounding area was under lease, and wells were being drilled within the city limits: five in 1896 and 57 the following year. 
 
The first oil refinery in the state was built in 1897, and by 1898 there were 287 producing wells in the Corsicana field. The oil find attracted numerous oil men from the east, among them Edwy R. Brown, H.C. Folger, W.C. Proctor, C.N. Payne, and J.S. Cullinan, founder of the Cullinan Oil Company, which later evolved into the Magnolia Oil Company.


Derrick Days

stage bike race

The Tour of Corsicana returns annually with the same great format as previous years! The time based races will have three stages. Saturday morning time trial, Saturday afternoon downtown criterium and Sunday road race. We will also be introducing a Sunday gravel grinder for those looking for an adventure.


tour of corsicana

kerens library fundraiser

Each autumn the cotton crop was gathered and culminated months of work and worry for area farmers and their employees. Until recently, the cotton crop was the main source of income for Kerens folks. Fall meant cotton picking time; the three gins were running, people had a job, and they had money in their pockets. After a week of hard hot work, Saturday was the day to come to town, see your friends, sample some special treats, and have some fun.

Well, those days are gone. Cotton is harvested mechanically. There is only one nearby operating gin. People earn their living at jobs in town rather than picking cotton in the country. The Kerens Cotton Harvest Festival, held each year on the third Saturday in October, relives the excitement of those long ago Saturdays. The red brick main street, just 15 miles from Corsicana, once again comes alive with some of the old folks, some new folks, some city folks, but all folks looking to have a good time. 

Kerens Library Benefit
The Kerens Cotton Harvest Festival is sponsored by the Friends of the Kerens Library, a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. All funds received go towards benefiting the Kerens Library.

cotton harvest festival

celebrate small town americana

Join us for an afternoon and evening of food, fun, and fireworks at Corsicana's Annual 4th of July Freedom Festival at the I.O.O.F. Park as we celebrate our Nation's Independence.

Held annually from 6-10 p.m. on July 4 at the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) Park in Corsicana, the festival includes a professional pyrotechnic show, live music, bounce houses, and food vendors. 

The event is hosted by the Corsicana Rotary Club, and sponsored by a number of generous charitable trusts in the area.

freedom festival

sip shop stroll & repeat

Say Cheers Here! with local businesses every second Saturday in Historic Downtown Corsicana. Participating shops and businesses offer complimentary Mimosas to customers for a variety of stops Downtown. It’s free, friendly and a lot of fun – taste how our creative businesses put their signature spin on this brunchy cocktail. It starts at a sponsoring shop and continues throughout town. 10 am – 3 pm every second Saturday of the month. 

Our retail pop up vendors are placed inside already existing storefronts in downtown Corsicana-a shop in shop concept. We accept applications monthly for any vendors looking to participate in our Mimosas at the Market. Our ideal applicant is a maker, crafter or artist. Our historic downtown is home to several great retailers and our goal is to pair a vendors that compliment our downtown.

mimosas at the market

everyone has a southern side

Porchfest & Crafternoon is designed to pair seamlessly with Corsicana’s Second Saturday series, the popular “Mimosas at the Market” where we sip, shop, stroll, and repeat. Attending Mimosas at the Market Saturday morning, 10 – 1, then filling the afternoon on 3rd Avenue with Porchfest blends commerce, cocktails and conversations. Its a respite from the week and opportunity to have true face time with old friends and neighbor hosts, while exploring a different neighborhood each year, perhaps sizing it up for style and fit, and maybe becoming a bigger part of our community.

See what the Press is saying about Porchfest!
CORSICANA PORCHFEST & CRAFTERNOON APPEARS IN MORE THAN 80 MEDIA OUTLETS. READ WHAT THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAYS ABOUT PORCHFEST

porchfest

a fall favorite

The Annual Main Street Pumpkin Patch is partnering this year with Square Root. Find yourself surrounded by beautiful displays of pumpkin varieties including, gourds, jacks, fairytales and minis. Visit during regular business hours to purchase pumpkins and have your photos taken in the patch. Join us for fun festivities at the patch, including CTX Kids Night Out on the third Thursday in October and Boo on the Block on October 31st. Proceeds from the Main Street Pumpkin Patch funds projects and revitalization efforts in our historic downtown. 

Photo Opportunities provided at these locations:

Downtown at Square Root: 222 N Main St. Corsicana Texas 75110

Hours: Monday- Saturday 9am-6pm 

The Corsicana Visitor's Center: 301 S Beaton St. Corsicana Texas 75110

Park grounds open to the public 8am-10pm

The Downtown Pocket Park Market: 317 N Beaton St. Corsicana Texas 75110

Hours: Monday-Sunday 9am-5pm

pumpkin Patch

Home town Christmas celebration 

One of the most magical times of the year in Corsicana as we light a three-story tree with more than 10,00 lights and 750 ornaments. Live entertainment by the Royal Dukes Band from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. with the countdown beginning at 6 p.m. with fountain flares around the tree, official lighting and spectacular fireworks display afterward. Train rides for kids of all ages and portrait photos with Santa. Complimentary milk and cookies. The annual tree lighting in Downtown Corsicana continues to grow every year and still maintain its small town charm. Bring the whole family out for this treasured celebration. 



Holiday Tree Lighting

Home town Christmas celebration 

For more information about the parade please contact: festivalparadeoflights@gmail.com

Santa's Hotline: 661-772-7233

festival of lights parade

Angelita Vineyrad

A Navarro County Treasure

Angelita Vineyard and Winery is located in Angus just outside of Corsicana and is "Navarro County’s first and only vineyard and winery." The winery is owned by Beverly and Rodney Spahn.

Enjoy a wine tasting, wine flight, wine by the glass or a bottle of your favorite Angelita Vineyard wine. We have several appetizers available including a cheese plate with an assortment of several delicious and unique types of cheese. Sit inside and enjoy soft music playing while enjoying wine that was made on-site from our estate vineyards. Or sit outside and view the beautiful Texas sunset setting directly over several acres of our Blanc Du Bois vines. 

For hours of operation or to book a visit click HERE

Richland Chambers

The 3rd Largest lake in Texas

Come and experience championship fishing, leisure lake living and a wide variety of recreational opportunities on the third largest lake in Texas. Its 44,752 acres provide unequaled opportunities for fishing, boating, commercial and residential development. The deep, clear water harbors almost all species of game fish found in Texas, with numbers and sizes on the increase. Predominant fish species commonly found in the Richland Chambers Reservoir include: White & hybrid striped bass, Blue & channel catfish, Largemouth bass, Crappie, Smallmouth buffalo and Carp. View the 330 miles of shoreline that boasts wonderful homes, eye-catching wildlife and beautiful scenery.

For more information and public access facilities map click HERE.

Exotic, trophy + Budget friendly options 

Cotton Mesa Trophy Whitetail Ranch is located just one hour south of Dallas, Texas. Cotton Mesa Whitetail is owned and operated by Robert Gegenheimer and his son Stephen Gegenheimer. Robert is an experienced hunter and has been a professional outfitter for 32 years. We are hunting 4,200 acres of prime deer habitat in Central Texas and have been producing some top pure Texas Whitetail since 1990. And to top it all off, we have some of the BEST Bass Fishing in Texas. 903-654-3416

Hooked Up Guide Services
provides Guided Fishing and Hunting Trips by an experienced guide. Joe Moore has been fishing Richland Chambers Lake for 20+ years. He specializes in Hybrids, Sand Bass, and Monster Blue Cats.. He headquarters out of Fisherman’s Cove Lodge. Waterfront cabin rentals available. Joe Moore 903-875-9899

Come on out and enjoy a Guided Exotic Hunt with Trinity River Exotics! Only 30 minutes away from the Fisherman’s Cove Lodge. We have high fenced hunts as well as free range hunts! Come out for a once in a lifetime experience with Trinity River Exotics! We have Black Bucks, Axis Deer, Red Deer, Fallow Deer, and Mouflon Sheep! Trinity Exotics 903-641-5905

Manx Outfitters offer hunts for Hogs, Aoudad Sheep, Axis Deer, Sika Deer, Scimitar-Horned Oryx, Fallow Deer, Blackbuck, Elk, and Red Deer. These hunts may be combined with a Whitetail hunt or taken as an individual hunt. The property is situated just north of Richland Chambers Reservoir, one hour south of Dallas. The property consists of about 5,000 acres. 1,000 of which is under high fence, the remainder of property is low fenced. Ranch 214-202-2799

fishing + HUnting

Texas Class wing hunting

Texas class wing-shooting is closer than you think. Upland Bird Country has lots of space, lots of birds, lots of variety, and their hill country-style lodge is the perfect place to gather before and after your hunt.

Terrain Information
Upland Bird Country's nearly 800 acres are naturally divided into named fields where you'll be amazed at the variety of terrain and hunting experiences that you can choose from. "Mrs. Coggins" will remind you of west Texas, and if you hunt the "Lower Garvin" you'll swear you're in Dakota! The "Power Station" field provides even the Upland regulars with a terrain where they can really test themselves. As always, wide open spaces are assured because we strictly limit the number of hunters on the ranch.

Bird Information
You'll find birds - lot's of them. Upland's quail, chukar, and pheasant are powerful fliers and will present a real challenge to your hunting skills. Our variety of hunts, fields, and specials will keep you on your toes, and that's a promise.

Upland Bird Country regulars know that these fields are a tremendous hunt for their pointers and flushing dogs, but if you're not a dog owner, they'll set you up with one of their own experienced, professional guide and dog teams.

Tower Shoots
Tower shoots are a specialty. Since 1988 Upland's tower shoots have been a very important part of their hunting calendar. With between 20 and 40 shooters, and up to 360 rocketing pheasants, there is no shortage of stories to share at the barbecue lunch. Upland's tower shoots are perfect for corporate events.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Email Terry Warren or call at 903-641-7196 to schedule a hunt.

upland bird country

A hole in one

Formerly known as New Oaks Golf Course, this is the more public, nine-hole alternative for golf in Corsicana. Short and well maintained, it’s the kind of course that makes for an enjoyable, affordable afternoon on the links. The design rolls through mature trees, creeks meander through the layout, and water comes into play on seven of nine holes. As you might expect on a simple muni like this, the greens are pretty basic–flat and of medium speed.

Moontowner at the Oaks offers unique ambiance situated on the Oak Trail Golf Course. est. 1935. Have a cool drink, grab something to eat freshly made from our kitchen , watch golfers from the patio, games on TV or just cool down after playing golf at the Oak Trail Golf Course.

Located at:
2501 N Business 45
Corsicana, TX 75110
Phone: 903-872-1801



oak trail golf club

More than 15 beautiful and diverse parks are maintained by our Parks and Recreation Department in Corsicana for your enjoyment. A blend of pleasing landscapes, open spaces, parks, and recreation facilities for both passive and active interests are available.

From 145-acre Lake Halbert Park to Historic Temple Beth El, Corsicana Parks and Recreation Department has something for everyone. 

parks + recreation

bowling

Sixteen lane bowling center, with new synthetic lanes, jukebox, and pool tables.

2801 W 7th Avenue
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-874-3746

corsicana park Lanes

everyone has a southern side

Navarro Mills Lake, also known as Navarro Mills Reservoir, is 16 miles west of Corsicana in the Trinity River basin in western Navarro County (at 31 degrees 57 feet north and 96 degrees 42 feet west). The lake extends into eastern Hill County. The project is owned by the United States government and is operated for flood control and recreational purposes by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, Fort Worth District.

The Trinity River Authority purchased the conservation storage space of 63,000 acre-feet and by 1964 controlled diversion and conservation uses. Construction on the project began on December 23, 1959, and deliberate impoundment of water began on March 15, 1963.

Capacity
The reservoir has a total capacity of 63,300 acre-feet at the top of conservation storage at an elevation of 424.5 feet above mean sea level. It has a surface area of 5,070 acres, a shoreline of 38 miles, and a flood-control capacity of 148,900 acre-feet. The drainage area above the dam is 320 square miles. The local terrain is flat to rolling and is surfaced by clay and sandy loams that support water-tolerant hardwoods and grasses. Visit http://www.navarromillslake.com/

navarro Mills Lake

for the modern sportsman

Freedom Shooting Sports is a curator of hunting gear, accessories, and lifestyle goods. At our core, we are retailers in pursuit of equipping the modern huntsman. Our foremost desire is to appropriately equip you for your pursuits. We are a retailer of firearms, NFA products, ammunition, firearm accessories, archery equipment and lifestyle goods. Our archery pro-shop boast some of the most capable technicians and instructors; we build custom bow string & cable sets and have exceptional indoor and outdoor ranges. We have a highly-skilled gunsmith and full service gunsmith shop, and we build custom rifles. We have an onsite classroom where we provide instruction and training in a multitude of curriculum
to advance your capabilities as a sportsman.

1746 S. US HWY 287
Corsicana, Texas 75110
903-872-8003

Freedom shooting Sports

pearce museum

a civil war + Western art Collection

The Pearce Museum at Navarro College consists of a number of focused collections – namely documents, artifacts, and photographs related directly to the American Civil War and works of art depicting the historic and modern American West. In addition, the Pearce Museum is the repository for the Navarro College Archives.

The Civil War collection at the Pearce Museum has more than 15,000 documents as well as a number of photographs and three-dimensional artifacts that directly relate to the period 1861 – 1865 and are original to that time period, or were written or made within the life of a participant in the American Civil War.

http://www.pearcemuseum.com

Admission Rates
$8 Adults
$6 Seniors (55+)
$4 Student (6-17)
FREE ~Children 5 and under
FREE ~Navarro College Staff & Students
FREE ~Pearce Museum Members

step back in time

Pioneer Village is a multi-building historical attraction and research facility focusing on Navarro County from 1838 forward, full of period artifacts and memorabilia. Pioneer Village is also home to The Lefty Frizzell Museum. 

912 W Park Ave.
Corsicana, Texas 75110 
903-654-4846


pioneer village

Collection Features
The Capehart Communications Collection, owned by Western Electric retiree Don Capehart and his wife, Rita (and operated out of an old Coca-Cola bottling factory next to their home in Corsicana, Texas), is a unique collection of communications equipment; telephones that span many ages from the end of the Victorian Age to modern times; media sources such as magazines, posters, and records; and other trinkets and gadgets used throughout the history of communication. The collection shows the history of a major company, Western Electric, and its vital role in developing the telecommunication business.

Begun in 1984, the collection has grown into one of the nation's largest privately owned museums of its kind. Western Electric was the manufacturing arm of the Bell System. From sewing machines to switches, telephone booths to toilets - the Capehart Collection contains examples of many items manufactured by the Western Electric Company through the years. It also includes artifacts, documents, and memorabilia from Bell Labs and AT&T.

Personalized Tour
As impressive as the collection is, the real treat is the personalized tour given by Don or Rita. The stories of ingenuity and invention behind the artifacts make history fun for young and old alike.

409 S 9th Street
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-872-0440

capehart communications collection

oil history

Brief History
This 0.5-acre park was dedicated on the morning of December 10, 1990. Petroleum Park and oil derrick therein mark the “Birthplace of the Texas Oil Industry”. The first oil discovery in Texas leading to commercial oil production was made on this site in 1894 while drilling for water. 

Corsicana Oil History
Soon after, the first commercial oilfield in Texas developed from this discovery well east across residential Corsicana. Eighty-five foot high wooden oil derricks sprouted from every yard and vegetable patch. By 1900, the Corsicana town oilfield was yielding 800,000 barrels of oil annually with over 600 operating wells completed within the city. 

The Corsicana town oilfield was the first commercial oilfield development anywhere in Texas, pre-dating the discovery of the famous Lucas gusher at Spindletop in 1901. In fact, the Lucas gusher was drilled by a Corsicana drilling crew, the Hamill brothers, with Corsicana drilling equipment freighted to the gulf coast site.


418 S 12th St.
Corsicana, Texas 75110

Brief History
This 0.5-acre park was dedicated on the morning of December 10, 1990. Petroleum Park and oil derrick therein mark the “Birthplace of the Texas Oil Industry”. The first oil discovery in Texas leading to commercial oil production was made on this site in 1894 while drilling for water. 

Corsicana Oil History
Soon after, the first commercial oilfield in Texas developed from this discovery well east across residential Corsicana. Eighty-five foot high wooden oil derricks sprouted from every yard and vegetable patch. By 1900, the Corsicana town oilfield was yielding 800,000 barrels of oil annually with over 600 operating wells completed within the city. 

The Corsicana town oilfield was the first commercial oilfield development anywhere in Texas, pre-dating the discovery of the famous Lucas gusher at Spindletop in 1901. In fact, the Lucas gusher was drilled by a Corsicana drilling crew, the Hamill brothers, with Corsicana drilling equipment freighted to the gulf coast site.

Oil Industry Firsts
Other oil industry firsts for Corsicana included the first commercial oil refinery built in the mid-continent west of the Mississippi River. The refinery (1898) was built by a predecessor company of Magnolia Petroleum Company and Mobil Oil, under the direction of Texas oil industry pioneer Joseph S. Cullinan. Exxon Mobil, successor of Magnolia Petroleum and Mobil Oil, maintains one of the four original stills from the historic refinery on the company’s South 15th Street facility in Corsicana.

Numerous founders of the oil industry titans soon to come - including Magnolia Petroleum (Mobil Oil), Humble Oil (Exxon), Texaco, and Gulf Oil - found their start in the Texas oil industry in Corsicana in the 1890s. 

418 S 12th St.
Corsicana, Texas 75110

Petrolium park

Oakwood Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Navarro County, dating back to the early 1800's. The diversity of grave sites is truly something to behold. It is said that more than 500 veterans of the Civil War rest here. The cemetery is not only one of architectural substance, but also a place of historical significance. Many people make special trips to view the vast contrast that occurs in the presence of natural beauty and ancestral architecture.

700 N 15th Street
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-654-4860

oakwood cemetary

On October 10, 2009, the Corsicana Field Aviation Heritage Foundation dedicated a new memorial to honor all Army Air Force (AAF) Flying Cadets and the civilian and military personnel that were instrumental in their training. Located on the original WWII site of the Air Activities of Texas, Corsicana Army Air Field. The U.S. AAF Cadet Memorial consists of 5 acres of land with a central monument walkway.

Memorial Details
The walkway begins at the original gateway to the air field and incorporates pillars, sidewalks, and pads that date back to the 1941 construction of the facility. Incorporated into the 400-foot walkway are three separate circular patios. The first patio holds a life-size bronze statue of a cadet wearing a seat-pack parachute. This patio is dedicated to all AAF cadets. The second patio has a flagpole in the center and is dedicated to all who worked at Air Activities of Texas. On the third patio is a triangular monument that is dedicated to those airmen that lost their lives in WWII. One side of the monument contains the names of the men killed in training at Corsicana.

Three countries are represented here - USA, Mexico, and Brazil. The flags of all three nations will fly over this monument. Another side of this monument will honor Maj. Thomas McGuire, a Medal of Honor recipient that trained at Corsicana Field. The third side of the monument honors all airmen from the United States that made the ultimate sacrifice in World War II. 

C. David Campbell Field
9000 Navarro Road
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-654-4847

cadet memorial

The Coyote Squadron, a unit of the Commemorative Air Force, operates from the N.H. “Tucker” Hardgrave Memorial Hangar at C. David Campbell Field, the Corsicana, Texas, municipal airport.

One of the missions of the Commemorative Air Force is the restoration to flying condition and the continued maintenance of World War II military aircraft. The Coyote Squadron has such an aircraft, a PT-19, that has been fully restored.

Air Show
In addition, the Commemorative Air Force seeks to perpetuate in the memory and hearts of all Americans the spirit in which these great airplanes were flown. To that end, and to educate and entertain visitors, the Coyote Squadron has hosted each year since 1999 an air show that features many of these airplanes as well as many other aircraft. The aircraft, owned privately or operated by other units of the Commemorative Air Force, are flown in and displayed during the air show.

C. David Campbell Field
9000 Navarro Road
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-654-4847

CAF coyote squadron

The Glenn Cumbie Museum of Aviation and Military History is comprised of two rooms in the Corsicana Municipal Airport terminal, a hanger display area and a five-acre U.S.A.A.F. Cadet Memorial plaza. On exhibit are military and aviation artifacts from all periods, including an extensive collection of uniforms. Decorative engine displays include Ranger and Kinner models. The library collection consists of periodicals, manuals and everyday papers of the common soldier. Original artifacts from Corsicana Field, as well as a large collection of newspapers, are on display.

C. David Campbell Field
9000 Navarro Road
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-654-4847

cumbie aviation museum

General Joseph Orville ""Jo"" Shelby (1830-1897) led a cavalry force of Missourians known as the Iron Brigade and later, the Iron Division. From 1861-1864, his troops rode with generals Thomas C. Hindman, John S. Marmaduke, and Sterling Price in Missouri and Arkansas. During this time, Shelby earned praise for his command.

Planned Attack
Shelby and his men wintered in Texas in 1864-1865. In the spring, when word of Confederate surrenders in the east reached him, he was ordered to lead his men to Shreveport, Louisiana, to surrender. Instead, they planned an attack on the city to prevent collapse of the Trans-Mississippi Confederacy.

Waylaid by severe weather, they decided to go to Mexico. Shelby's soldiers stopped along the banks of Chambers Creek, south of Chatfield. Near here, they made their last bivouac as a Confederate unit. The next morning, June 2, 1865, the troops lined up for assembly and held what has been called "the last review of the Confederacy." By that time, they were the last organized unit in any Confederate state.

Flee to Mexico
Following the review of his troops, Shelby delivered his farewell then asked his men to accompany him to Mexico. Hundreds reportedly answered his call. The next week, while his men gathered supplies from nearby Corsicana, Shelby visited the Hodge Oaks Plantation of Capt. Robert Hodge at Chatfield. Once prepared, the troops left for Mexico, where their offer of military service to Emperor Maximilian was diplomatically rejected. The men were offered land, though, and many, including Shelby, stayed.

In 1867, Shelby returned to Missouri, where he farmed and served as U.S. Marshal. His dedication is celebrated there, as well as in Texas.

4511 FM 1603
Chatfield, TX 75105

last review of the confederacy site

100 w

artist residency

"South of Dallas, 50 minutes by car, is a town named 'Corsicana' where wonderful examples of turn-of-the-century Italianate architecture stand amid a predominate oil and agricultural industrial setting. Both Mobil Oil and Wolf Brand Chili were founded here. And two blocks west from the railway is a building constructed by, and for, the Oddfellows Fraternity who have since moved and left a relatively untouched space ripe with potential for artists seeking respite and an intense studio experience away from 'big city'atmosphere. In this building we, seven artists of different mediums, are beginning a Kunsthalle of sorts in residency-like format complete with a wood shop, printmaking studio and large open rooms for any creation conceived here. This is 100 West 3rd Avenue, Corsicana, TX. We call it 100 West."

Kyle Hobratschk
Owner / Artist

100 W 3rd Avenue
Corsicana, TX 75110

Hours
By appointment only

The Cook Center Planetarium at Navarro College is a large theater with a 60 foot diameter dome screen and 200 seats that specializes in showing informative astronomy / space science themed programs. The planetarium offers a weekly schedule of presentations for the general public. The schedule is subject to change in response to the needs of Navarro College, large groups, and private events. Please call the Cook Center at 800-988-5317 or 903-874-1211 to verify the current planetarium schedule.

Telescope Viewing Sessions
The planetarium periodically hosts telescope viewing sessions after sunset on the Corsicana campus of Navarro College in association with Texas Astronomical Society members. Follow them on Facebook to find out about the next viewing. Local telescope viewing is available each month at Hubbard Lakes hosted by the Central Texas Astronomical Society.

cook center planetarium

event center + Haunted Tours

The Corsicana Opry & Event Center is housed in a historic circa 1905 cherry red brick building. We have 23,000 sq ft on the 1st floor and balcony, and 7,000 sq ft in the basement. The Event Center is perfect for... Concerts, Weddings, Receptions, Reunions, Birthday Parties, Showers, Church Services, Meetings, Auctions, Seminars, Vendor Shows and more. You can also join us for a Ghost Walk.

215 E 5th Ave
Corsicana, Texas 75110
903-872-6779

Corsicana Opry

vaudeville Restored

The Palace Theatre is a 1921 vaudeville house located in downtown Corsicana. The theatre saw famous acts before changing to a movie house in the 1930’s. In the mid 1990’s the Theatre was saved from demolition and beautifully restored for the community. In February 2002, the Theatre reopened to great fanfare with the musical, Porgy and Bess. Since 2002, many famous faces have graced the stage of the Palace. With the help of generous underwriting and fundraisers, the Palace is able to fulfill its mission to Corsicana and surrounding areas. The Palace seeks to enrich the local community through activities promoting professional arts, and will continue to shine for the new generations.

112 W 6th Avenue
Corsicana, TX 7511
903-874-7792

palace theatre

theatre entertainment

Schulman's Movie Bowl Grille occupies nearly 34,000 square feet on approximately eight acres, in the Corsicana Crossing retail district, and features dining, movie theater and a huge interactive arcade.

Schulman's eight giant-sized theaters, with two screens more than 45 feet wide and equipped with the latest sound and 3-D projection technology, offers movie goers an experience unsurpassed in the region. Its many entertainment options, along with the cinema’s high-end finishes that include granite countertops, stained concrete flooring and high-back leather rocker chairs, make it a unique family entertainment destination for the entire region.

3501 Corsicana Crossing
Corsicana, TX 75109
903-641-0049

schulman's movie

The Warehouse Living Arts Center, one of our community's greatest assets, has been at the very heart of entertainment, arts education and culture for over 40 years. The center was founded as a 501(c)3 charitable organization with its primary purpose, to provide a vehicle for the education in, production and development of the performing arts, including but not limited to drama, musical and related cultural productions and to encourage community participation in all aspects of the creative arts.

Since then, The Warehouse has developed a vibrant children's theater company and education programs for both youth and adults. The center is also the year round home of all Navarro Council of Arts art displays and exhibits which are free to the public.

The theatre has presented over 300 stage productions which have entertained, enlightened and educated people of all ages and backgrounds in Corsicana and Navarro County. For almost thirty years the Navarro Council of the Arts has presented monthly art exhibits in the Warehouse Gallery space. Exhibits include the Annual Quilt Show, the Annual Heart Gallery with the Navarro Child Advocacy, local artists along with Nationally recognized artists.

119 W 6th Avenue
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-872-4556

warehouse living arts center

African-American History

G.W. Jackson

G.W. Jackson was born in 1860 near Corsicana, Texas. He was educated at Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee and was an author of a number of books on education. He was a pioneer African-American educator, known statewide; he established the Corsicana school system for black students and served as the high school principal for 45 years. A Dallas black monthly newspaper giving a brief history of their city’s history of education, wrote: “…before Dallas’ Booker T. Washington High School was built, Dallas’ black secondary students rode the Interurban daily to Corsicana’s Fred Douglas High School…”.

The G.W. Jackson High School, built in the 1920s, replaced the Fred Douglas High School, which was destroyed by a fire. The community named the school for the man who had devoted his life to the education of African-American children. It is said to be the first brick constructed black school house built in the State of Texas.

G.W. Jackson was well respected by all of Corsicana and was active in church and civic leadership. He was grandmaster of the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows for six years. His obituary, written July 22, 1940 reads that he had one son, a Harvard graduate, who was employed by the New York City Post Office.

When the G.W. Jackson High School burned in 1971, as a result of arson, the house located on MLK Boulevard became the sole structure associated with the man who the African-American community in Corsicana find most meaningful.

African-American History Continued

African-American History Cont.

Dr. Will Coleman and Rex Ingram

Dr. Will Coleman
A native Texan, Will Coleman (1882-1953) grew up caring for livestock on the Robert Witherspoon Ranch in Chatfield (12 miles northeast). His family moved to Corsicana in 1899; in 1911, Coleman graduated from the McGills University School of Veterinary Science in Montreal, Canada, and received his license to practice in Texas nine years later. By 1925, he had established his own veterinary clinic in Corsicana. One of the first black veterinarians in the area, Dr. Will Coleman lived at this site with his wife, Mattie, and their 12 children. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

Rex Ingram
Dean of American black actors, a Corsicana native, Rex (Clifford) Ingram was the son of Mack and Mamie Ingram. He graduated from Northwestern University before launching his brilliant acting career, which spanned 50 years. Ingram made his screen debut during the era of silent movies in a 1918 "Tarzan" film. He won widespread acclaim for his famous portrayal of "De Lawd" in the 1936 film "Green Pastures." Ingram also appeared on the Broadway stage and in several television productions, bringing his skill and dignity to every performance. He died and was buried in California.

African-American History Continued

Corsicana, county seat and largest city of Navarro County, is in the central portion of the county 58 miles southeast of Dallas at the junction of Interstate 45, U.S. highways 75 and 287, and state highways 22 and 31. It was established in 1848 to serve as the county seat of newly-established Navarro County. José Antonio Navarro, a hero of the Texas Revolution after whom the county was named, was given the honor of naming the new town; he suggested Corsicana after the island of Corsica, the birthplace of his parents.

David R. Mitchell, an early area settler, donated 100 acres for a town site, and with the assistance of Thomas I. Smith, platted the land and began selling lots. The new town was centered near a log tavern built in 1847 and owned and operated by the Rev. Hampton McKinney. The first courthouse, a two-room log structure, was constructed in 1849, and served as a church, meeting hall, and civic center until a new frame building was constructed in 1853. The first school, taught by Mack Elliot and a man named Lafoon, opened in the old courthouse in 1847, and a short time later the Corsicana Female Literary Institute began operating.

Businesses in Town
Within a few years of the town's founding, a large number of mercantile establishments opened on and around the courthouse square, and new brick courthouse - a symbol of the town's growing prosperity - was erected in 1858. The first newspaper, the Prairie Blade, was founded in 1855; it was replaced by the Express in 1857, which in turn was replaced by the Observer on the eve of the Civil War.
Read more about the history of Corsicana (PDF).

history of Corsicana

The Navarro County Historical Society was organized in 1956 by Alva Taylor of Corsicana and Joe Daniel of Kerens. Two years later, the Pioneer Village was conceived to serve as a depository for the County's surviving historic structures, heirlooms, artifacts and other family treasures.

The Village is located at the famed "Watering Hole" where early day settlers circled their wagons for defense against the Indians. Today the site is part of the city park located on land named for Beauford Jester of Corsicana, former governor of the State of Texas. Navarro County Historical Society is a non-profit organization.

CONTACT US
Ms. Bobbie Young
Director

912 W Park Avenue
Pioneer Village
Corsicana, TX 75110


Phone: 903-654-4846


NaVARRO CO. HISTORICAL SOCIETY

oakwood cemetary

Oakwood Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Navarro County, dating back to the early 1800's. The diversity of grave sites is truly something to behold. It is said that more than 500 veterans of the Civil War rest here. The cemetery is not only one of architectural substance, but also a place of historical significance. Many people make special trips to view the vast contrast that occurs in the presence of natural beauty and ancestral architecture.

700 N 15th Street
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-654-4860

The birthplace of Texas Oil industry

Corsicana Oil History
Soon after, the first commercial oilfield in Texas developed from this discovery well east across residential Corsicana. Eighty-five foot high wooden oil derricks sprouted from every yard and vegetable patch. By 1900, the Corsicana town oilfield was yielding 800,000 barrels of oil annually with over 600 operating wells completed within the city. 

The Corsicana town oilfield was the first commercial oilfield development anywhere in Texas, pre-dating the discovery of the famous Lucas gusher at Spindletop in 1901. In fact, the Lucas gusher was drilled by a Corsicana drilling crew, the Hamill brothers, with Corsicana drilling equipment freighted to the gulf coast site.

Oil Industry Firsts
Other oil industry firsts for Corsicana included the first commercial oil refinery built in the mid-continent west of the Mississippi River. The refinery (1898) was built by a predecessor company of Magnolia Petroleum Company and Mobil Oil, under the direction of Texas oil industry pioneer Joseph S. Cullinan. Exxon Mobil, successor of Magnolia Petroleum and Mobil Oil, maintains one of the four original stills from the historic refinery on the company’s South 15th Street facility in Corsicana.

Numerous founders of the oil industry titans soon to come - including Magnolia Petroleum (Mobil Oil), Humble Oil (Exxon), Texaco, and Gulf Oil - found their start in the Texas oil industry in Corsicana in the 1890s.

Be sure to visit Petroleum Park, the birth place of the Texas Oil industry.
418 S 12th St.
Corsicana, Texas 75110

oil history

Navarro county is home to more than 152 Historical Markers and Corsicana's Downtown is a Nationally Registered Historical District with more than 120 contributing historic buildings. In addition, our local history has been preserved with Bronze Statues throughout the city, depicting the likeness of local historical and influential figures.

Courthouse info here: 


Stop in to the Visitor Center to pick up a Historical Downtown Walking Tour Guide.

For a full list of Texas Historical Markers in Navarro County.  

historical markers

tree lined Brick Streets

more info coming soon

Carriage District Homes

General Joseph Orville ""Jo"" Shelby (1830-1897) led a cavalry force of Missourians known as the Iron Brigade and later, the Iron Division. From 1861-1864, his troops rode with generals Thomas C. Hindman, John S. Marmaduke, and Sterling Price in Missouri and Arkansas. During this time, Shelby earned praise for his command.

Planned Attack
Shelby and his men wintered in Texas in 1864-1865. In the spring, when word of Confederate surrenders in the east reached him, he was ordered to lead his men to Shreveport, Louisiana, to surrender. Instead, they planned an attack on the city to prevent collapse of the Trans-Mississippi Confederacy.

Waylaid by severe weather, they decided to go to Mexico. Shelby's soldiers stopped along the banks of Chambers Creek, south of Chatfield. Near here, they made their last bivouac as a Confederate unit. The next morning, June 2, 1865, the troops lined up for assembly and held what has been called "the last review of the Confederacy." By that time, they were the last organized unit in any Confederate state.

Flee to Mexico
Following the review of his troops, Shelby delivered his farewell then asked his men to accompany him to Mexico. Hundreds reportedly answered his call. The next week, while his men gathered supplies from nearby Corsicana, Shelby visited the Hodge Oaks Plantation of Capt. Robert Hodge at Chatfield. Once prepared, the troops left for Mexico, where their offer of military service to Emperor Maximilian was diplomatically rejected. The men were offered land, though, and many, including Shelby, stayed.

In 1867, Shelby returned to Missouri, where he farmed and served as U.S. Marshal. His dedication is celebrated there, as well as in Texas.

4511 FM 1603
Chatfield, TX 75105

last review of the confederacy site

coming soon

Historic Downtown Shops

retail therapy

awaiting some copy for this section. Example of what Grapevine uses. When you shop Historic Downtown Grapevine, you'll be browsing quaint, locally-owned boutiques with truly one-of-a-kind treasures. At Good Things for All Seasons and Merry's Christmas and Clowns, you'll find cute holiday collectibles and ornaments, and not just items celebrating Christmas, but seasons full of holidays and festivities.

If you want clothing that makes a statement, visit ooh la la!, Paloma Boutique, Crowned by Grace or Gypsy Warehouse. Dig through vintage finds at Red Shed Antiques and The Corner Store and pick up Lone Star gear at Texas Tees and Collectibles. And, if you're wanting to look like a true Texan, Coyote Cowboy sells the best in western wear. Indulge your inner foodie at shops such as the Grapevine Olive Oil Company. Historic Downtown Grapevine, anchored by Main Street, highlights the best fun and funky finds, as well as products made by local artisans. Unique shops, fantastic finds and delicious discoveries await in Historic Downtown Grapevine.

boutiques

dress like a local

sweet tangerine

Turquoise Pistol

the pink peony

merle norman

cotton kisses

timbers

Corsicana, county seat and largest city of Navarro County, is in the central portion of the county 58 miles southeast of Dallas at the junction of Interstate 45, U.S. highways 75 and 287, and state highways 22 and 31. It was established in 1848 to serve as the county seat of newly-established Navarro County. José Antonio Navarro, a hero of the Texas Revolution after whom the county was named, was given the honor of naming the new town; he suggested Corsicana after the island of Corsica, the birthplace of his parents.

David R. Mitchell, an early area settler, donated 100 acres for a town site, and with the assistance of Thomas I. Smith, platted the land and began selling lots. The new town was centered near a log tavern built in 1847 and owned and operated by the Rev. Hampton McKinney. The first courthouse, a two-room log structure, was constructed in 1849, and served as a church, meeting hall, and civic center until a new frame building was constructed in 1853. The first school, taught by Mack Elliot and a man named Lafoon, opened in the old courthouse in 1847, and a short time later the Corsicana Female Literary Institute began operating.

Businesses in Town
Within a few years of the town's founding, a large number of mercantile establishments opened on and around the courthouse square, and new brick courthouse - a symbol of the town's growing prosperity - was erected in 1858. The first newspaper, the Prairie Blade, was founded in 1855; it was replaced by the Express in 1857, which in turn was replaced by the Observer on the eve of the Civil War.
Read more about the history of Corsicana (PDF).

history of Corsicana

Pioneer Village

The Navarro County Historical Society was organized in 1956 by Alva Taylor of Corsicana and Joe Daniel of Kerens. Two years later, the Pioneer Village was conceived to serve as a depository for the County's surviving historic structures, heirlooms, artifacts and other family treasures.

The Village is located at the famed "Watering Hole" where early day settlers circled their wagons for defense against the Indians. Today the site is part of the city park located on land named for Beauford Jester of Corsicana, former governor of the State of Texas. Navarro County Historical Society is a non-profit organization.

CONTACT US
Ms. Bobbie Young
Director

912 W Park Avenue
Pioneer Village
Corsicana, TX 75110


Phone: 903-654-4846


NaVARRO CO. HISTORICAL SOCIETY

need text

oakwood cemetary

Oakwood Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Navarro County, dating back to the early 1800's. The diversity of grave sites is truly something to behold. It is said that more than 500 veterans of the Civil War rest here. The cemetery is not only one of architectural substance, but also a place of historical significance. Many people make special trips to view the vast contrast that occurs in the presence of natural beauty and ancestral architecture.

700 N 15th Street
Corsicana, TX 75110
903-654-4860

The birthplace of Texas Oil industry

Corsicana Oil History
Soon after, the first commercial oilfield in Texas developed from this discovery well east across residential Corsicana. Eighty-five foot high wooden oil derricks sprouted from every yard and vegetable patch. By 1900, the Corsicana town oilfield was yielding 800,000 barrels of oil annually with over 600 operating wells completed within the city. 

The Corsicana town oilfield was the first commercial oilfield development anywhere in Texas, pre-dating the discovery of the famous Lucas gusher at Spindletop in 1901. In fact, the Lucas gusher was drilled by a Corsicana drilling crew, the Hamill brothers, with Corsicana drilling equipment freighted to the gulf coast site.

Oil Industry Firsts
Other oil industry firsts for Corsicana included the first commercial oil refinery built in the mid-continent west of the Mississippi River. The refinery (1898) was built by a predecessor company of Magnolia Petroleum Company and Mobil Oil, under the direction of Texas oil industry pioneer Joseph S. Cullinan. Exxon Mobil, successor of Magnolia Petroleum and Mobil Oil, maintains one of the four original stills from the historic refinery on the company’s South 15th Street facility in Corsicana.

Numerous founders of the oil industry titans soon to come - including Magnolia Petroleum (Mobil Oil), Humble Oil (Exxon), Texaco, and Gulf Oil - found their start in the Texas oil industry in Corsicana in the 1890s.

Be sure to visit Petroleum Park, the birth place of the Texas Oil industry.
418 S 12th St.
Corsicana, Texas 75110

oil history

Navarro county is home to more than 152 Historical Markers and Corsicana's Downtown is a Nationally Registered Historical District with more than 120 contributing historic buildings. In addition, our local history has been preserved with Bronze Statues throughout the city, depicting the likeness of local historical and influential figures.

Stop in to the Visitor Center to pick up a Historical Downtown Walking Tour Guide.

For a full list of Texas Historical Markers in Navarro County.  

historical markers

tree lined Brick Streets

I have a press release about these homes from last year... will paste.

Carriage District Homes

General Joseph Orville ""Jo"" Shelby (1830-1897) led a cavalry force of Missourians known as the Iron Brigade and later, the Iron Division. From 1861-1864, his troops rode with generals Thomas C. Hindman, John S. Marmaduke, and Sterling Price in Missouri and Arkansas. During this time, Shelby earned praise for his command.

Planned Attack
Shelby and his men wintered in Texas in 1864-1865. In the spring, when word of Confederate surrenders in the east reached him, he was ordered to lead his men to Shreveport, Louisiana, to surrender. Instead, they planned an attack on the city to prevent collapse of the Trans-Mississippi Confederacy.

Waylaid by severe weather, they decided to go to Mexico. Shelby's soldiers stopped along the banks of Chambers Creek, south of Chatfield. Near here, they made their last bivouac as a Confederate unit. The next morning, June 2, 1865, the troops lined up for assembly and held what has been called "the last review of the Confederacy." By that time, they were the last organized unit in any Confederate state.

Flee to Mexico
Following the review of his troops, Shelby delivered his farewell then asked his men to accompany him to Mexico. Hundreds reportedly answered his call. The next week, while his men gathered supplies from nearby Corsicana, Shelby visited the Hodge Oaks Plantation of Capt. Robert Hodge at Chatfield. Once prepared, the troops left for Mexico, where their offer of military service to Emperor Maximilian was diplomatically rejected. The men were offered land, though, and many, including Shelby, stayed.

In 1867, Shelby returned to Missouri, where he farmed and served as U.S. Marshal. His dedication is celebrated there, as well as in Texas.

4511 FM 1603
Chatfield, TX 75105

last review of the confederacy site

resale

gift shops

antiques & Collectables

boutiques

historic downtown shops

shopping

small town - big party